Tuesday, September 4, 2012

~ Recipe Tuesday ~

this picture does not do justice to the awesome goodness of these muffins

I love muffins. I love chocolate. What better way to start the day then with yummy chocolaty muffiny goodness? I can't think of any. I was messing around on line trying to find a good triple chocolate muffin recipe one day, I found this one, which was a good jumping off point. I like the idea of zucchini in them, I like fooling myself that the zucchini add loads of healthiness to an otherwise evil good muffin. BUT at the time I didn't have zucchini, and I felt like the cocoa powder was just really not enough. So I tweaked it a bit. Here is what I did:

Triple chocolate goodness muffins:

1 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
3 eggs
1 cup melted butter (that has cooled a bit)
1 TBSP vanilla
3 cups flour (you can do any sort of mix of this you want. I just use unbleached white, I'm not fooling anyone.)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together sugar, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
In another bowl whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
Slowly add dry to wet. DO NOT OVER MIX (I do this often, you end up with stuff muffins.)
Fold in all the chips.
Place in prepared muffin tin (either grease down the cups or use the paper liners. One's with polka dots are the best.)
Bake about 20 minutes, but check for doneness at about 15 minutes. You can easily over cook them and again all you get are stiff muffins.
To help with moistness I read to put a pan of water in the oven when cooking the muffins. I do that now. I am not sure how much it helps, but my muffins have come out more moist. It could be the steam and the fact that I try not to over mix everything now.
This makes about 18 muffins. You could stretch it to 2 dozen if you don't fill up the muffin cups to the top like I do.

ENJOY!

No comments: