Saturday, September 29, 2012

Saturday's Garden




Well, the garden boxes are made, filled with dirt and planted with seeds. We even have sprouts, which I would love to post a picture of, but sadly the camera is on the fritz. The pumpkin has sprouted, and so has the butternut squash. We planted some Oregon Snap peas which have also popped up the last couple of days, and the lettuce is poking out as well. It is really exciting to go out and water everyday and see how quickly things have changed. Fiona loves to go out and help, usually that means she tries to dig up stuff, but that is ok. I planted some rosemary and thyme from seedlings, because I wanted something to be big. And the boys and I picked out moss roses which do so well here in the heat. And some petunias, I just love those pretty flowers, they look so delicate, but they can stand up to the heat pretty darn good. Now is the hard part... the waiting for things to really take off. While we play the waiting game we are going to set up a potato tower, we have many potatoes with eyes. I have yet to grow potatoes successfully, I really hope this works. At some point in the nearish future I see a chicken coop and three happy hens scratching around in that dreary back yard... bring life and eggs to it. But until then, well this will do.

6 comments:

steph said...

what a great start!! I'll be anxious to follow all that good stuff. You're just starting....I'm ready to call it quits for the season....turn, turn, turn!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I've just discovered your blog. I look forward to seeing your veggie grow and hopefully some chickens too. Happy gardening.

Gretchen Stuppy Carlson said...

I really want to make a potato tower - it's on the list for next year. Your boxes look great! I just started a new garden/farming link up and would love you to join! http://www.simplejoyfulliving.com/2012/09/backyard-farming-connection-bees.html

Lisa said...

Oh, raised beds are wonderful! Happy gardening.

Audrey said...

Visiting from Ginny's but thank you for your comment today! I looked up that potato tower and I may consider doing one of those....potatoes are one of my favorite things to grow. I love pulling up the plant ~ you never know what's going to be below the dirt. It's kind of exciting! The only problem being that they take up so much room. Yeah, the tower. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the idea. Good Luck with the garden!!!

Deanna said...

Hello!

I love the raised beds. ... and I checked out the link you shared about the potato tower, very interesting. Maybe one day I can give it a try.

Looks like you live in a warm climate like me? I'm in Florida where the humidity is high and always hot. I enjoy the few days we get of fall of and some winter days though.

Happy Gardening! I look forward to watching your garden grow:)