Saturday, May 4, 2013

My "Paleo"

Some friends and I have been chatting about the name "paleo" diet. It sort of gives the impression that we will grub on pretty much anything, OR people think... "Paleolithic man didn't eat bacon or lamb chops", and you know that is true.
I am not sure what to do about the name, all I know is, when I am true to the diet I feel awesome! Seriously. And honestly it isn't a "meat diet" in fact I eat more vegetables, more greens, more fresh fruit then I ever did while we were vegetarians (not that this is true for all vegetarians, just for me... although friends have stated the same thing as well.)
I thought I would share what a day of eating might look like for me:
meal #1: two scrambled eggs packed with roughly 2 cups of greens (baby chard, kale and spinach), a whole grated zucchini, and a handful of frozen peas, maybe a slice of bacon or a chicken sausage, and a smoothie (can be a green smoothie which would have 2 cups of spinach, water, a banana, pineapple and blueberries; OR a fruit smoothie that has coconut milk, pineapple, mango, and 1/2 a banana)
meal #2: salad that has a plate full of greens, 1/2 a can of salmon, 1 whole avocado, plus a 1 or 2 cups of other veggies, topped with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Maybe a small handful of nuts.
meal #3: some sort of meat (usually local, grassfed), more veggies (steamed broccoli, raw carrots, more greens, asparagus with lemon and garlic, roasted sweet potatoes with garlic and sea salt) and maybe fruit (melon, apple slices, strawberries, grapes, you get the idea)
snacks: usually nuts, sometimes dried fruit, fresh berries... but honestly I don't normally snack unless I am sitting at the park with friends. LOL
To be completely honest I love eating this way, and yet I find myself again and again falling off the wagon and eating food that doesn't make me feel so great. I am at the end of week 2 of another whole30 hoping that I will stick to this way of eating, because really I feel awesome! It can be a struggle because those foods that are so bad for us, as so darn tasty! Salty, fatty, sweet, grain based, or dairy based. I mean truly who doesn't love salty potato chips, or cake and ice cream or heck just ice cream with loads of gooey goodness!? I must admit I have a total weakness for this stuff. The thing is, while redoing the whole30 I am also re-reading "It Starts With Food" and you know, those foods are addictive, they are made that way. They are hyperfoods really, way sweeter, saltier, carbier then you would ever find in nature... that is why we love them so. I figure my best defense is to try and keep as much of that stuff out of the house as possible, OR maybe turn my whole30 into a whole90 and really work on cutting this stuff out of my diet, get rid of those cravings and feel fabulous!

No comments: