Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thoughts on Thursday


Some friends and I are doing The Artist's Way. Or at least trying too. Life is so busy, full of busyness. It seems that more often then not I can't even get a few minutes to myself in the morning to do the 3 pages a day of writing, let alone the time to do any of the other activities. You would think with 24 hours in a day I could eek out a few minutes every day to do the few things I need to do for this. But the busyness can be overwhelming, so many little things to be done everyday, let alone all the bigger things that seem to take up so much time everyday. I can't imagine what it is like for families where both parents work, the kids are in school, and then there are after school things like sports, dance, tutors, etc, etc.
When did we all get so busy? And why do we keep being busy when so many people seem unhappy with the level of busyness? It is like there is a shame in just being, I feel it sometimes myself, well if I am honest I feel it a lot, even in a homeschool community. Why aren't we able to do all the things everyone else is doing? Is there something the matter with me? Why can't I do the farmer's market, hit the park, do the book club all in one day and then hop over to soccer practice in the evening? Why can't I get all the kids into swimming lessons, then summer camps put on my the library, do all my cooking from scratch, and make time to do all the things I want to do? I have no idea how people do all of that stuff and stay sane. My hat goes off to them, because if I am truly honest with myself I can do one thing. I can do park, or library, or hit the pool with all the kids, but not all three. I need to be ok with that, and not try and push myself because I feel like I am failing in my motherly, homeschooling duties.

3 comments:

sustainablemum said...

I am a one thing a day woman :). Any more than that and I start to go mad!

Darcel {MahoganyWayMama} said...

Nothing wrong with getting one thing done at a time. I'm the same way...picking and choosing what is higher on the priority list keeps me sane and my kids happy.

Unknown said...

I'm also working through The Artist's Way and finding it hard to do the weekly tasks. I can manage the morning pages by getting up early and setting an alarm so I only spend a half hour writing. It works. I did the Artist's Way last year when I was working full-time and got through everything till Week 10 I think. I don't understand how I can't get just as much done when I have several more hours to myself every day! It's one of those mysteries of life I guess.
Don't give up!